Author Topic: **Common Issues: READ THIS FIRST!**  (Read 22433 times)

AntiSocialKindaGuy

• Administrator
  • Field Marshall
  • Self-Centred Egotistical Wankpot
    • Ubisoft Toronto
**Common Issues: READ THIS FIRST!**
« on: 09 January 2008, 04:54:56 PM »
    Mod Launcher Error Codes

Error Code 1: generals.exe could not be found

This is because you have not installed the mod to your root Zero Hour directory. If you find your file generals.exe, this is your "root" directory. A successful installation will place the folder "VGO" in that directory.

If you installed Zero Hour to the default path, the generals.exe will be located here:
    ORIGINAL ZERO HOUR GAME:
    C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerGeneralsZeroHour

THE FIRST DECADE VERSION:
    C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerTheFirstDecade/Command&Conquer(tm)GeneralsZeroHour

Therefore the file VietnamGloryObscured.exe should be found here:

ORIGINAL ZERO HOUR GAME:
    C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerGeneralsZeroHour/VGO

C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerTheFirstDecade/Command&Conquer(tm)GeneralsZeroHour/VGO

Error Code 2: worldbuilder.exe could not be found

This is because you have not installed the mod to your root Zero Hour directory. If you find your file worldbuilder.exe, this is your "root" directory. A successful installation will place the folder "VGO" in that directory.

If you installed Zero Hour to the default path, the generals.exe will be located here:
    ORIGINAL ZERO HOUR GAME:
    C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerGeneralsZeroHour

C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerTheFirstDecade/Command&Conquer(tm)GeneralsZeroHour

Therefore the file VietnamGloryObscured.exe should be found here:

ORIGINAL ZERO HOUR GAME:
    C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerGeneralsZeroHour/VGO

C:/ProgramFiles/EAGames/Command&ConquerTheFirstDecade/Command&Conquer(tm)GeneralsZeroHour/VGO

Error Code 3: Failed to move VGO mod files

This means the launcher has failed to move the mod files from the \VGO directory to the game directory. A common cause is running multiple instances of the mod launcher; only run the mod launcher once or conflicts can occur.

This may be caused by UAC, so ensure this is turned off. Ensure the mod launcher has been launched with administrator privileges so it has the appropriate rights for moving files.

• From your Zero Hour install directory, go to the VGO folder.
    • Right click on VietnamGloryObscured.exe and choose properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab
    • Check the box to run the program in compatibility mode and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    • Then check "Run this program as administrator"

This can also occur because expected folders have been removed. The following folders must exist from your install directory:

• \Data\Movies
    • \Data\Scripts

If these folders do not exist, you can create them, but you may also get Error Code 4, below. Our suggestion is to reinstall Zero Hour and the mod to ensure all expected folders are in their correct locations.

Error Code 4: Failed to rename ZH game files

This is because your installation of Zero Hour is corrupt. A common cause is running multiple instances of the mod launcher; only run the mod launcher once or conflicts can occur. 

The mod expects the following files to exist from your install directory:

• \Install_Final.bmp
    • \Data\Scripts\MultiplayerScripts.scb
    • \Data\Scripts\SkirmishScripts.scb

This is likely to cause the mod to fail to clean up correctly later (even though it will probably run fine the first time). The recommendation is to reinstall Zero Hour and the mod to ensure all the correct files are available.

Error Code 5: Failed to restore ZH to original state

This means the mod has either failed to move the mod files out, or failed to restore the following files:

• \Install_Final.bmp
    • \Data\Scripts\MultiplayerScripts.scb
    • \Data\Scripts\SkirmishScripts.scb
    • \Data\Movies\intro_movie.bik

This should never happen unless it failed to rename the files in the first place. This can be fixed manually by finding the above files and renaming them as appropriate, and removing all .vgo mod files from the install directory and moving them to \VGO\Mod Files\

If this fails to repair the issue, the recommendation is to reinstall Zero Hour and the mod to ensure all the correct files are available.

Error Code 6: Failed to connect to server

This means either your internet connection is not working or our server is down; the auto-updating will not operate and it will do no version checking. This should not affect the mod; you can still play as normal with no ill effects.

Error Code 7: Corrupt vgo.ini file

This file is used to store basic information about the saved state of the VGO launcher, such as preferences and version numbers. If the file is corrupt for any reason, find it in from your install directory \VGO\vgo.ini and delete it. It should then be auto-generated for you and the mod should work as normal.

Error Code 8: unable to download update files from server

This means either your internet connection is not working or our server is down but you have already began downloading. The launcher should return to a safe state after this error message and the mod will play as normal, but the version will not be updated.

Error Code 9: failed to clean up files after download aborted

This means either your internet connection is not working or our server is down but you have already began downloading, however the launcher has failed to return to a safe state. This may be fixed manually depending on the version by manually deleting the half-loaded mod files, however it is recommended to reinstall the mod or delete \VGO\Mod Files\ and allow the auto-updater to redownload them.

Other Known Issues

When I hit play I get a "serious issue"

You must have the the latest patch for Zero Hour, patch 1.04, found here. You must not have any other mods installed that may conflict with our mod; mods with launchers (such as Shockwave and Cold War Crisis) and mods ran through Crosus should be fine.

Should you continue to have problems, the recommendation is to delete and re-install Zero Hour, the 1.04 patch and the mod. This almost always cures this issue.

When I hit play I get "Please insert correct CD and try again"

This issue appears to be a result of running the game via the mod launcher on certain setups - the exact cause is unknown, but it appears to be an anti-piracy measure for running from a proxy.

A solution is to run the mod launcher, but do not hit 'Play' - instead, run generals.exe while the mod launcher is open. Opening the mod launcher ensures all the VGO mod files are moved to their appropriate locations, and then running generals.exe directly prevents the anti-piracy fail from kicking in.

The auto-updater is slow or is not downloading any files
    The mod will run with the latest version - you do not have to download any patches. Patches will be released as stand-alone, but may not be as regular as the auto-updater. As long as everybody uses the same version, whether latest or otherwise, in multiplayer then no mismatches will occur.

The speed of the downloads will range in speed depending on how fast your connection is, how many people are currently updating, and you're location.

If you are still having problems, download all the files that end with a .vgo extension from
    http://screamingcricket.com/vietnam/download/autofiles_hydra/

Place them in a VGO folder in your main Generals Directory. It should look something like this:
    \...\Command&ConquerGeneralsZeroHour\VGO\Mod Files\

Launch the mod launcher again (exe in the VGO folder) and you should be able to play the mod. The mod launcher is compatable with other mods that also use a launcher. Make sure you have no other mods installed that don't use a mod launcher.

If you are still having issues running the mod, you can place all the files that end in .vgo into your main ZH directory and rename the .vgo to .big. You will then have to use the generals.exe to run the mod. You wont be able to have any other mods installed with this method.

The mod is running slowly / lag spikes

If you are not playing against an AI, this is a graphics issue; you will need to reduce your graphics settings. If you struggle in battles and with explosions, reduce your particle count. Occasionally it has been known to happen due to dodgy ZH pathfinding; search for units that are stuck.

If you are playing against AI, this is a pathfinding issue we have tried very hard to eradicate but cannot from all circumstances. It is particularly bad on certain maps, especially Dong Hoi Coastal. All we can recommend is playing other maps, particularly two player maps, as we may not be able to resolve this issue.

I have The First Decade, and I cannot play with my friend who has Zero Hour

This is a known issue with TFD that we cannot resolve, as it is a problem in the engine. The only thing we can suggest is you both get a copy of the same version.

When I try to run the mod launcher, it tells me I need the latest .net framework

You require at least .NET v4. You can get .NET v4 from here.

When I try to run the mod launcher, I get an error message along the lines of "Could not intialize the program (0x0000135)"

This is often caused by a corrupt install of .NET. Follow the instructions above.

I use Windows Vista or Windows 7, and when I click play it just plays Vanilla Zero Hour

There is an issue where UAC will block our application from copying files. We recommend turning off UAC for the mod (and generally, it's a horrible naggy thing). For instructions on how to turn this off, click here

My base explodes for no reason after about 30 seconds!

This is almost always a bad MultiplayerScripts.scb - we recommend downloading a replacement from http://www.cnclabs.com/downloads/details.aspx?id=391

The Bloom is way too bright!

This is a reported problem with some ATI cards, using certain drivers and gamma settings. We have not nailed this down yet, however you can get a temporary fix attached at the bottom (click here.

Place this in the \VGO\Mod Files\ folder, and it should remove all bloom. Note this means you cannot play online against others (as the game will mismatch), the game will not look as good, and if you accept an auto-update the fix will be removed. For this reason we recommend getting the latest drivers and playing with the settings a bit before resorting to this.

I have Windows 7 (or Vista) 64bit and can't even get Zero Hour to start

• From your Zero Hour install directory, create a shortcut to generals.exe
    • Right click and choose properties and go to the Compatibility tab
    • Check the box to run the program in compatibility mode and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    • Then check "Run this program as administrator"
    • Apply changes (make sure UAC is turned off)
    • Next go to you C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data\
    • Look for an options.ini file, chances are you will have to create it to get the game to run
    • Attached is an options.ini file, save this file into the directory listed above
    • Start ZH from the shortcut, it should now start up normally
    • You can change your game options from the menu
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: 06 November 2012, 02:55:35 PM by ScreamingCricket »
    Quote from: A Gameplay Designer

Ubisoft Toronto - AI Programmer
    Blur - Gameplay Programmer